iAIR Academy Short Courses
The Medical Impact of Poor Indoor Air
The dialogue between building professionals and customers is changing. It is vital for those in the construction industry to understand what it means to have healthy indoor air and how that is shaping customer demands.
Dr John explains why great looking buildings may not necessarily be healthy buildings and what we can do about it.
- How to make the link between a great building and a healthy building
- Understand how new environmental and social business models are steering investors and the impact this will have on construction projects
- The opportunity of going ‘beyond code’ and becoming an indoor air specialist
- Know the importance of language such as Indoor Air Quality (IAQ), IEQ, Building Related Illness (BRI), and Indoor Environmental Quality
Indoor Pathogens including CoronaVirus
In this course we delve into the statistics, medical language and how to talk to customers in a relatable way. We learn about gasses, particles and biologicals and conduct basic conversations about these hazards. Brief punchy videos not only to understand more about pathogens such as Coronavirus. But how to control the impact of pathogens within a building.
- Understand what is in our air in our homes and what can cause problems
- Understand clean air terms in context with the construction industry - such as what a Pathogen is.
- Learn how dangerous chemicals, biologicals and allergens get into the air and what keeps them there
- Understand what an allergens is, such as ragweed allergen, dust mite allergen and other household air-borne allergens
What are Asthma & Allergies?
Asthma and Allergies impact a staggering 50% of US households. Many indoor triggers are causing medical challenges. Dr John teaches us the triggers of asthma and allergies within the home and how to talk about it. We examine the lack of regulation in this area and the confusion this brings to home owners. Finally we look at how to mitigate against these common allergens and have better, more productive conversations with your customers on this topic.
- The scale of the Asthma and Allergy challenge in the USA
- Learn what happens during an asthma attack
- Learn about the natural history of allergic diseases
- Understand why a ‘whole house approach’ is needed to reduce the impact of asthma and allergies and how building with asthma and allergies in mind can vastly reduce the impact on sufferers
In Home Triggers
Dr John takes us on a fascinating ‘walk through’ of a typical house spotting common reservoirs of indoor triggers that can lead to poor air quality and negative health outcomes. Learn the positive impacts of ventilation, source control and cleaning. Become an expert in spotting the potential triggers and help your customers build the best, healthiest, indoor environment possible.
- A room-by-room guide to air-borne triggers that create negative health outcomes, including The importance of ventilation, source control and cleaning
- Understand what rooms we find these triggers in, and other home features that impact indoor air quality
- Develop a systematic approach to identifying, controlling, and even eliminating the sources of indoor pollutants and allergens.
- Inhalation and triggers caused by: The material of the building envelope, decoration and room finishes, air handling and airflow, what we bring into the building, how to maintain a building
Dr. John McKeon
CEO of Allergy Standards with over 20 years experience in health and the built environment
John is a medical entrepreneur and currently the CEO of Allergy Standards Ltd (ASL), an international standards and certification body, a company he founded while working as an Emergency Room Doctor. As the founder he has led the development of an international intellectual property portfolio of patents and trade mark applications and negotiated complex licensing agreements with multinationals such as P&G and 3M. Along the way he has secured significant equity investments as well as academic and industry grant awards. As a serial entrepreneur, John is involved in a number of successful healthcare related ventures.
How you learn
- Requires internet connection & web browser
- Available on mobile or laptop
- Slide based courses with Dr John McKeon
- Interactive quiz and surveys
- E-books and realistic page flip
- Audio and video lecturer
- Ask questions and get answers from a real person
- Links with Allergy Standards content library
- Optional access to a comprehensive knowledge base