Healthier Buildings Awareness with ISSA & iAIR Academy
This course delivers enormous value to professionals in the following roles:
Heads of Sustainability
Why is this important?
The EPA suggest that Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) can be up to 5 times more polluted than outdoor air. Indoor Air Quality is getting worse and the medical outcomes increasingly negative. Customer awareness is spiking due to seasonal forest fires and “pollen tsunamis”.
There is a growing demand for a better understanding of how indoor air quality is relevant to building owners and facilities managers.
This course, designed and delivered specifically for building management professionals, will help you take practical next steps in creating cleaner indoor air for your stakeholders.
When you take this course you will be able to engage with building owners and managers about indoor air quality concerns and issues related to health and wellness.
It will also include the latest science on indoor ‘trigger factors’ asthma and allergies.
You will also be able to identify business opportunities in supplying better solutions that create quality air for the increasing numbers of people that demand it. The course also covers the medical challenges surrounding IAQ and Covid-19
An analysis of sick leave data for more than 3,000 workers across 40 buildings found that 57% of all sick leave was attributable to poor ventilation.1
At The End of This Course You will Understand:
- The relationship between cleaning and indoor air quality
- The impact of the indoor environment on human health
- Indoor triggers and the corresponding impact on human health
- Some of the reasons why asthma and allergies are on the rise
- How the facilities management industry is set to respond to clean air demands
- How material choice alone is not sufficient in creating better building inhabitant outcomes
- What Coronavirus is and its relevance to cleaning
- Spot commercial opportunities to create healthier buildings
Allergy Standards Limited (ASL) has announced their partnership with ISSA and the Global Biorisk Advisory Council™, a division of ISSA, on a unique educational program. Patricia Olinger (Executive Director, GBAC), along with Gavin Macgregor-Skinner (Senior Director, GBAC) and Dr. John McKeon (CEO Allergy Standards Ltd) announced the news in the media centre at the ISSA North America Show 2021.
Why a Partnership with ISSA/GBAC and ASL?
The GBAC STAR Facility Accreditation is the gold standard of prepared facilities. ASL have worked with best in class manufacturers over the past 20 years including Dyson, LG, Volvo, 3M, Tarkett, Trane & Bona, testing and certifying their products to our high scientific standards. Our mission is to empower people to create the healthiest possible indoor environment, so when looking for a partner to educate facilities managers and cleaning professionals around this topic, the ISSA were first on our wish list.
Dr. John McKeon
Director of Education at ASL Academy
Allergy Standards CEO
John is a medical entrepreneur and currently the CEO of Allergy Standards Ltd (ASL), an international standards and certification body, a company he founded while working as an Emergency Room Doctor.
What is Covered in this Course?
1. The Medical Impact of Poor Indoor Air Quality
The dialogue between building professionals and customers is changing. It is vital for those in the contruction industry to understand what it means to have a healthy indoor air and how that is shaping customer demand. Dr John explains why great looking buildings may not necessarily be healthy buildings and what we can do about it.
- How to make the link between a great building and a healthy building
- Understand how new environmental and social business models are steering investors and the impact this will have on construction projects
- The opportunity of going ‘beyond code’ and becoming an indoor air specialist
- Know the importance of language such as Indoor Air Quality (IAQ), Building Related Illness (BRI), and Indoor Environmental Quality IEQ
2. Indoor Pathogens
In this module we delve into the statistics, medical language and how to talk to customers in a relatable way. We learn about gasses, particles and biologicals and conduct basic conversations about these hazards. Brief punchy videos not only to understand more about pathogens such as Coronavirus. But how to control the impact of pathogens within a building.
- Understand what is in our air in our buildings and what can cause problems
- Understand clean air terms in context with the prepared facilities industry - such as what a Pathogen is.
- Learn how dangerous chemicals, biologicals and allergens get into the air and what keeps them there
- Understand what an allergen is, such as ragweed, dust mites and other household air-borne allergens
3. What Are Asthma and Allergies?
Asthma and Allergies impact a staggering 50% of US households. Many indoor triggers are causing medical challenges. Dr John teaches us the triggers of asthma and allergies within the home and how to talk about it. We examine the lack of regulation in this area and the confusion this brings to home owners. Finally we look at how to mitigate against these common allergens and have better, more productive conversations with your customers on this topic.
- The scale of the Asthma and Allergy challenge in the USA
- Learn what happens during an asthma attack
- Learn about the natural history of allergic diseases
- Understand why a ‘whole of building approach’ is needed to reduce the impact of asthma and allergies and how managing a building with asthma and allergies in mind can vastly reduce the impact on sufferers
How you learn
- Requires internet connection & web browser
- Available on mobile or laptop
- Slide based courses with Dr John McKeon
- Interactive quiz and surveys
- E-books and realistic page flip
- Audio and video lecturer
- Ask questions and get answers from a real person
- SCORM compliment and can be installed on in-house Learning Management Solution
- Links with Allergy Standards content library
- Dialogue simulations in sales module
- Optional access to a comprehensive knowledge base
Upon successful completion of the programme, you'll earn a digital certificate of completion from the iAIR Academy
All certificate images are for illustrative purposes only and may be subject to change at the discretion of iAIR Academy